Friday, July 16, 2010

My first 1/2 Marathon


Thursday, April 15, 2010

WOO HOO!!
I did my first "officially" half marathon! 13.1 miles!!!
It was the GO! STL in St. Louis Mo.
My time was 2:10:56
I was hoping for 2:10:00 and praying nothing less than 2:30:00
So i met my goal!
IT was very exciting! SO many people it was crazy. @ 12,800 people!
I started at the 8.45 pace line. I KNOW I wasn't going to run that but my girlfriends were there and they said it was so packed in past that point there wasn't any place to stand. That was at 6:30. The race didn't start for 30 more min. By the time it started we were packed in there.
The started I kept up with the 8.45 pacers (BIG MISTAKE!) for a mile or so. Then I dawned on me....I can't keep this pace or i won't make it. SO as you could guess droves of people began to pass me. I was feeling so defeated. For the rest of the race droves of groups would pass me. One pace setter group at a time.
I realized after the 9.35 pace group passed me; close to the end of the race ; that I can't let the 9:45 pass me or I won't make my time. Well my legs said WE DON'T CARE =-) It really didn't matter what my legs said my heart said I'm not gonna give up or in!
I ran almost the entire time. I walked at the water stations to drink.
OK who ever says downtown STL is not hilly has never ran it! I don't know how they managed to make the race all hills and only 3 or 4 down hills but they did. It seemed as if as soon as I would get to the top of a hill I'd think "WOO HOO! Down hill here I come" Then we would turn directions into another hill. Very creative people. I hope to never meet them =-)
I took 2 GU packs at 6 mile and 9 mile markers. I should have took 1 more. I ran out of steam at the 11 mile marker. I was headed up the hill and I almost go to the top and I HAD to take 3 steps my HR was 183. I took three steps and noticed the water station. MAN! I wish I would have seen that 3 steps ago. Oh well.... keep pushing on!
YOU ARE GONNA FINISH THIS! YOU ARE GONNA FINISH THIS! YOU ARE GONNA FINISH THIS!
Last two miles girl... here we go. Only 2 miles, only 2 miles, only 2 miles. I kept telling my self. Well it has to be less than 2 miles now... how long have i told my self that... stop thinking ! RUN!
There it is ! Is that the finish line? I don't know. It has to be right? WRONG. Everyone is turning. Where is the finish line. It has to be close! I turn... no finish line. But I hear them announcing finishers. I am close. I turn again. THERE IT IS!!! The FINISH line! I haven't seen my family the entire race but the start. Where are they? I want to see them! Where are they. There is the finish line!!! I try to push more. I am almost there...."Tia" WERE ARE YOU???? "TIA!" I look to my right and there all I see is my husband! He is beaming with pride. HE LOVES ME no matter my time!
Last push... Arms up, smile, FINISH! I AM a half marathoner!
Now let me sit down!!! they won't let me sit. My legs start to tighten up fast. They are cramping. I can't stop, I get pushed threw this troth for at least 15 minutes. Where is my family? Well I don't get to see them for a little bit. I did get to sit down and reflect on my accomplishment for a while.
OK now the part that NO ONE TOLD ME NOT TO DO!
I went home straight home (20 minute car ride) and took an hour nap. When I went to get up I COULD BARLEY MOVE! I decided to sit down and prop my feet. I thought that would be best.
It wasn't! My husband said, "I think you deserve dinner out."
Well, I could barley move at this point. I began to walked with very stiff legs. My son said it looked like I had something stuck =P. That posture would stick with me for 3 days! Man a live did it stink!
So, I talk to my marathoner friends and they all said "NEVER rest to long or sit to long after a race. Try to keep moving for a few hours after the race." OK!!! GREAT ADVICE A LITTLE TO LATE =D They gave me great tips on every thing but never did they prepare me for after the race. Never did I think to even ask.
All in all it was a wonderful experience. It has inspired many of my family and friends to do a race and get better in shape. So well worth all it!
I am praising God that He helped me with all of it. The willingness to run it, the preparation it took to do it, and the will power it took to finish. I continuously prayed during the race for my body, my friends who were running and those whom seemed to need some help in the race.
It was a great experience.
Thanks for walking threw the journey with me.
TIA

2 comments:

Amanda Downard said...

Tia, I was so inspired by your story, it honestly moved me to tears. I am proud of you! Kevin and I are well on our way. We did our first 5K in June and I finished under an hour, that was my goal. The race motivated Kevin and he has his mile down to 8.15, I am so proud of him. I have lost 27 pounds, I work out an hour every day at the YMCA. I have done the yoga fitness and bodyworks classes ,they are intense. Thank you for all your help Tia, I appreciate it so much. We are signed up for two more 5K's, one in October and one in November. Kevin's goal is 30 minutes and I would like to finish in under 45 minutes.

TIA HURT said...

Amanda,
WOW! Thanks so much for such uplifting words. If you enjoyed this post you should read
"TIA's Triathlon :)" http://coachhurt.blogspot.com/2010/07/tias-triathlon.html
It was very emotional to me.
Congrats on your weight loss. I am so proud of you and Kevin!
Keep movin'
Tia
AKA Coach Hurt =-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails