Friday, December 17, 2010
For those of you who are new to running here are some running safety tips.
1. RUN AGAINST TRAFFIC! That is, on the left side for us right-side-of-the-road driving countries.
If you are running in the same direction as traffic, cars will come up on you from behind. You can't see whether or not they're going to move out of the way. When you run opposite traffic, you have a chance to get out of the way if drivers don't see you
2. Wear bright colors: to draw attention to you. neon yellow, bright red, safety green, and reflective clothing
3. Keep your head up: look a head of you and pay attention to your surroundings.
4. Stop at intersections: Stop & look at intersections. Drivers are not expecting you to run out.
5. Don't run threw a red light : Wait. those wanting to "beat" the light will do so with not thinking about anything other than "beating" the light.
6. Run single file when running in a group - particularly in high traffic areas.
7. Avoid running alone in isolated areas - vary your route.
8. Run defensively: Have a game plan if a dog comes at you or if you get approached or attacked.
9. Don't argue or gesture ate people driving. (This might be common since but I've seen it done)
10. Have a Road Id on you. (I keep one on my shoe)
11. Let someone know where you are going and when you'll be back.
12. Take a cell phone. ( I won't tell you were I keep mine ;-)
I personally run with a flashing light attached to my shirt collar (day or night), and clothes that are reflective. It is well worth the money for my safety. However that doesn't guarantee the drivers will see me. I have to pay attention and look for them.
What are some things you do or don't do to run safe?
Let's Get Healthy,
Chose a *method then a work out and give 100% to it and you can be done with a 60 or 40 minute work out in 20 - 30 minutes. You need to workout at least 20 minutes to get the best benefit from each method.
With any exercise always consult with your doctor.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Get the Most Out of your Work Out in a Short Time
Who doesn't want to get the most out of a workout in a short time? We all seem to be short on time. Below is how you can do just that.
Chose a method then a *work out and give 100% to it and you can be done with a 60 or 40 minute work out in 20 - 30 minutes. You need to workout at least 20 minutes to get the best benefit from each method.
(Pic: me coaching bootcamp - plyo movement - extreme X jacks)
You should only do one method a day and do NOT do these methods more than 3-4 times a week. It is very strenuous to your body and you could cause permit damage.
With any exercise always consult with your doctor.
* My next blog will give you work out ideas to use with these methods.
Please be sure to read the disclaimer at the bottom of this blog.
Monday, December 13, 2010
- This is a low fat healthy yummy casserole. My daughters favorite meal! Very easy.
- Cream of Mushroom 98% Fat Free, 2.5 serving
Cream of Chicken Soup 98% Fat Free
Rice A Roni Long Grain & Wide Rice and seasoning packet
- 4 Chicken Breast boneless and skinless (you can use Turkey or pork as well)
Add 2 boxes of Rice a Roni wild grain rice
Cut Chicken into strips or leave whole and put into crock pot.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until rice is tender or cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Cover with aluminum foil. (don't forget this or it will dry out)
Cook for 45 min with pre-cooked chicken , 1 hour for non- cooked chicken, 1/12 hours for frozen chicken breast
Thursday, December 9, 2010
2. Cut chicken breast into thin 1 ½ inch strips and place them into a plastic zip lock bag.
3.Mix together all of the ingredients for the marinade. Then add that mixture to the chicken and leave it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
4. While the chicken is marinating, in a bowl slowly mix orange peel strips together with 1 ½ tablespoons of honey, making sure each strip is coated. Then set them aside.
5. Steam broccoli and set aside. ( you can use frozen broccoli; just microwave ½ bag until thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes)
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil on high. Get oil very hot, add chilies and orange peel. There will be smoke. Stir while cooking until they both turn black and burn. The chilies will turn black first, continue to cook all of it until the orange peel turns black as well. This takes about 10 minutes. Once both have blackened, remove the chilies and orange peel and set them aside. Keep the debris stuck to the bottom of the pan in the pan. (you will only use 1 pan for all your stove top cooking)
7. When the chicken has finished marinating, drain all of the liquid from the chicken and discard liquid.
8. Heat the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil in the same pan used for the chili and orange peels. Add the chicken, cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the chicken browns. About 10 minutes.
10. While the chicken is cooking, in a small bowl mix together STEP 10 ingredients.
11. Once the chicken is browned, add the sauce mixture, broccoli, chilies and orange peel. Stir until boiling.
12. In a small cup mix the cornstarch (or whole wheat flour) with a little warm water just to dissolve. Add this mixture to the pan and stir until thick, about 3 minutes. (if using whole wheat flour - mix flour smoothly with water put flour and cold water in a jar, place the lid on and the give the jar a vigorous shake)
13. Serve over brown rice. (brown rice is not included in the nutritional information.)
Some other things you could add are peanuts and any other kind of veggie.
4. Work It Off
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Monday, December 6, 2010
Friday, December 3, 2010
Hope you like them as much as we did!!!
1/2 cup flour, all purpose
3 tablespoons cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
1 1/2 Pounds zucchini (cut into 1/2 by 3 inch sticks)
2 large egg whites (lightly beaten)
**I did substitue the salt and pepper.Zatarains Creole Seasoning
Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray
Combine flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a large sealable plastic bag
In egg white dip zucchini sticks, shake in the bag to coat, and arrange on the baking sheet, not touching.
Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray
Bake on the center rack for 7 minutes.
Turn the zucchini and coat any floury spots with cooking spray again.
Continue to bake until golden and tender, about 5 minutes more.
Friday, November 19, 2010
Foods That Should Be Eaten Daily in a Healthy Life Style
Eggs ( 2 whole eggs)
Contains the following
A: good for the skin and growth.
D: strengthens bones by raising calcium absorption.: protects cells from oxidation.
B1: helps properly release energy from carbohydrates.
B2: helps release energy from protein and fat.B6: promotes the metabolism of protein.
B12: an essential vitamin in the formation of nerve fibers and blood cells.
Contains the following Minerals -
Iron: essential in the creation of red blood cells.
Zinc: good for enzyme stability and essential in sexual maturation.
Calcium: most important mineral in the strengthening of bones and teeth.
Iodine: controls thyroid hormones.
Selenium: like vitamin E, it protects cells from oxidation.
Sources: http://www.nutritionandeggs.co.uk/page/nutritional_val (Check an up coming blog with more benefits of eggs)
Oats (1/2 cup)
Significant sources of dietary fiber.
Helps lower cholesterol
Decreased risk of hormone related diseases.
Delays the stomach from emptying quickly
Helps you feel full longer
Aids in weight loss
Favorably alters a bodies metabolism
Promoting muscle repair and growth
Water - OK so your not going to "eat" water =-)
Healthier looking skin
Helps with digestion
Aids in weight loss
Higher energy level
Better thought process
Low or non -fat cottage cheese
Good source of calcium, with Vitamin D
Prevents stomach disorders
Help build strong bones
Tooth decay prevention
Lemon or Limes:
Add a few drops of one to your water to increase your metabolism.
It's a liver detoxifier
(Adding 500 milligrams of ascorbic acid to your diet can speed up your metabolism by 33 percent - 500 milligrams is half a gram= 1 teaspoon is 5 gram)
Those were just a few benefits from each food. They all help in maintaining weight, loosing weight, staying or getting strong, staying healthy inside the body, outside appearances and staying active.
Let's Get Healthy!
Recourse: Roy BD (2008). Milk: the new sports drink?
US National Dairy Council Dairy's Role in Managing Blood Pressure
STOP! Don't go t that drive thru on Sunday's anymore. I know the day might be hectic but you can have a meal ready to eat in 10 -20 minutes if you make my "Sunday Fast Bites" healthy meals.
Sunday Fast bites are quick fast meals that are easy to make on Sundays.
Here are some tips and tools I use to help me with Sunday Fast Bites.
1. Have precooked frozen chicken, turkey, fish, and other meats, or meat alternatives in the freezer - diced, sliced and whole.
2. Other things I keep in the freezer are fruits and a variety for frozen veggies.
3. Have canned beans, tomatoes, diced tomatoes, canned chicken, canned salmon, canned tuna, all kinds of rice, and oats in the pantry.
4. Have eggs, cottage cheese, hard cheeses and milk in the refrigerator.
5. Keep 2 crock pots one big and one small.
6. Prep food when time permits. Prepping food can be as early as 2 days prior or the same day to shave cook time down.
To see recipes for "Sunday Fast Bites" click below and scroll down the page. http://coachhurt.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Fast%20Bites
Let's Get Healthy!
Coach TIA HURT
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Low Fat Cheeseburger Pie
Ingredients for filling
1lb extra lean ground turkey
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
2 Slices of Tomato
1 Clove Garlic (chopped)
3/4 Cup 2% Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Nonfat Cottage Cheese
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Ingredients for dough mixture :
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Baking Powder, 2.5
butter, 4 tbsp
- 1/4 cup of water (Add water gradually as needed for dough, you might not need it all)
Mix dough with water to form a dough. Roll dough flat enough to cover a pie pan with rolling pin. Discard if you have extra dough.
Directions: Brown Turkey, onion & garlic in a pan, and Worcestershire Sauce.
Make dough mixture. (ingredients above)
In a separate bowl, mix cottage cheese with egg then Pour that mixture over the turkey.
Top with Shredded Cheddar Cheese and place Tomato Slices on top and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
Nutritional Info Servings: Per Recipe: 8, Amount Per Serving, Calories: 160 ,Total Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 57.9 mg, Sodium: 292.1 mg, Total Carbs: 10 g, Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g, Protein: 26 g
Coach Tia Hurt